Friday 11 January 2013

The Dilemmas of Supporting Two Football Teams


For many football supporters it's only ever possible follow one team, despite perhaps having a 'pet' team in another league.  I've supported Manchester City since 1969.  I was a successful young glory hunter, having bet my mum 6d that they would win the FA Cup.  Over the years I have followed them to varying degrees as my personal circumstances allowed.  This has included being a Junior Blue many years ago, having a season ticket for a number of years and playing in the APFSCIL league for the club.  However, over the last ten years it has largely involved watching them whenever possible at away games with a group of London based supporters.

Over the last five years I've also discovered the increased pain and pleasure to be gained from supporting my local non-league team. Watching Dulwich Hamlet team has allowed me to always be able to get a ticket for the game, take my daughter along to watch more easily, give advice to opposing players from the touchline to which they regularly respond and get home in time for dinner.  This support has also allowed me to visit many places and associated pubs around London of which I was only vaguely aware - and again still be home in time for dinner.  As another supporter said to me "I go and visit these places because I'm nosey".  

It has also provoked a number of emotional dilemmas.  As an example, while attending Dulwich Hamlet's  play-off final game at Bognor Regis last year, I heard in the crowd that YaYa Toure had just scored for MCFC at Newcastle. Fortunately, I was watching the game just outside the bar area and nipped inside to see a replay of the goal.  Resuming my spot on the terrace, I was just in time to see Bognor score (ultimately the winning goal) from a corner at the other end of the ground.  Having been briefly elated by a goal scored over 300 miles away, I was instantly deflated by what happened in front of me.  Further emotional confusion occurred as MCFC completed their win during half-time at Bognor while Dulwich Hamlet managed to miss a second-half penalty.  I felt very disappointed with Dulwich's performance in the game I attended, but later  managed to find consolation from the other result.

From knowledge of other supporters who follow non-league teams, I can only assume there are more people out there that have found their own ways of dealing with this increased pain, pleasure and confusion.    

1 comment:

  1. I too have the same dilemma of supporting two teams, however neither are in the pond life of non –league football. Having been a long time Manchester City fan circumstances now find me being a Barcelona fan as well. I have followed Barcelona for quite a few years, before ‘The Pep Years’ when they were not quite so successful.
    I am a ‘Socio’ of Barcelona FC, so as a member I own a little bit of the club and can vote on various subjects including electing the President of the club. Following Barcelona has led me into becoming interested in the history of the city and of the club, this in turn led me to take an interest in Spanish nationalism and Catalan independence.
    However, until a few years ago, there was no chance of Manchester City playing a meaningful game against Barcelona, but, since the input of Abu Dhabi money, there is a chance of them meeting in the Champions League.
    So this is my dilemma.......WHERE WOULD I SIT ?
    However, even as a Barcelona fan, Real Madrid play the stinky reds next week in The Champions League, I know which seat I’ll be in for that one !!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete